Thursday, March 8, 2012

Blog Post 7

networking
"The Networked Student" by Wendy Drexler

After watching The Networked Student, I wouldn't say that I am necessarily prepared to be the teacher of networked students but I do know that I like to push myself and I am not afraid of a challenge. I think teaching a networked student would be good for me because it would broaden my horizons in the teaching field and open up my eyes to the ever growing technologically advanced world. Sometimes it's good to step out of your comfort zone and be willing to take a chance.

As teachers, our goals should include pushing ourselves, setting limits, and once those limits are reached, set new ones. I am not positive that I would like the student-oriented teaching style verse the teacher-led, traditional style. This would definitely be something that would take some getting used to for me since I am more old-fashioned in my ways.

However, I am a strong advocate for more concrete, hands-on interation for learning rather than the standard "busy work". I believe that students learn more when they are physically involved and testing theories in real experiences rather than reading material, memorizing it, and spitting it back out, better known as the "burp back method" by Dr. Strange. It is a bit intimidating but never-the-less, I am excited and anxious to take on "networked students" and also see what they can teach ME because we all know that we learn from our students.

I like the idea of PLN's because it is a personalized way of learning and you can design it the way that best suits you. I am a very organized person so I particularly like how easy the categories are to find and how everything you need can all be accessed within one click of a button. Also, I'd like to note that this was a very well-spoken 7th grader!


myviewsafterwatchingthevideoTheNetworkedStudent

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashton
    Good Post. The generation that we are going to teach will be completely different than what we experienced, and even what the kids are experiencing now. I too, am a little intimidated by all the advancements the educational world is engaging in. I think that students learn more efficiently when it is hands on and they are actually retaining the information. Children learn better when they can relate it to everyday life.
    I hope I am, as you are, preparing myself to engage in working with the networked student. I like the fact that you like a challenge, because I think as teachers we are going to be facing them everyday.
    Have you always used a PLN? I just started when the assignment approached us, and I still find myself using my bookmarks. I think the PLN is a great resource though. If you just started using it, how did you adjust yourself to doing it all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...setting limits, ..." or setting goals? I think goals is much more appropriate!

    I doubt that "old-fashioned" teachers will survive in the new technological world!

    Thoughtful, well written.

    ReplyDelete