Thursday, April 12, 2012

Blog Post 11

Skype interview with Mrs. Cassidy

Skype interview with Mrs. Cassidy was very inspiring to me and answered a lot of questions I had. I am glad Dr. Strange asked about the point in time in which we were watching the 1st graders because I was wondering as well if these students were nearing the end of the semester as they showed great knowledge of the technology in which they were using. I was also wondering, as Mrs. Cassidy answered in the interview, if permission was given by the parents for their children to be seen and/or interviewed on the worldwide web as this raises a number of concerns to numerous people especially given they are so incredibly young. Mrs. Cassidy had a neat idea not only just giving 1st names but also not matching names with pictures/faces. The class blog is also very convenient for parents to be able to monitor their child's progress on their own time and not have to wait for conferences, open houses, etc. I also like how the blogs become personal portfolios so that all of their work throughout the school year will be available and progress can be reported and tracked. I think it would be neat to literally watch my child improve in certain subject areas, such as writing, all from viewing a website from my home.
It was interesting to me when Mrs. Cassidy said that we would be "handicapping" ourselves if we didn't take advantage of all the technology that is being offered in today's society. That statement made an impact on the way I have been viewing technology over the past year and made me realize that since the world is changing and improving, we do in fact have to change with it, regardless of our viewpoints on change. I realized that when Mrs. Cassidy said "some teachers just don't want to change" that I do not want to fall into that category. After hearing this, I want to make an effort to be more open to change not only in technology but in other fields as well so that I can become a more versatile and well-rounded educator. I agree with Mrs. Cassidy about becoming technologically literate with tools that you are interested in such as Youtube for people who enjoy videos. People tend to learn more when they are interested in the topic at hand.
I have always been more into Facebook rather than Twitter (as Dr. Strange noted that most of the class is), but after hearing so much about it in this class, it sounds like I really need to take the time out to research and play around on it to see what it is all about. Surprisingly, I learned more than I thought I would from watching this interview.
KathyCassidy

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashton, I really like your post. You described the Skype interview between Dr. Strange and Ms. Cassidy very well.I learned so much from this video,as well. I was also wondering if it was alright to have young children in videos that are put on the web. I am also glad that Ms. Cassidy answered this question. I would love to be able to see my daughters progress through a class blog. Your blog post is great! I just wanted to let you know that you did not have a picture or link.Good luck in your Education classes.

    Stephanie Hogue

    ReplyDelete