Sunday, April 1, 2012

Blog Post 9

One of my biggest fears is what McClung discussed about not connecting with your students in What I've learned this year and having them not comprehend anything that I will be lecturing on or teaching. Another thing I am almost positive that I will struggle with as well is not having your lesson plans go the way that you originally had them planned. I am a very organized person and I like having a plan and sticking to it and I realize I will just have to work on becoming more adaptable and flexible on these kinds of situations that WILL happen. NOTHING ever goes exactly as planned in life and the only thing we can do about that is be prepared for it and not be afraid of change.
I like how McClung says "don't be afraid of technology" because that is something I have always been guilty of and need to work on. I think it's also extremely important to listen to our students because the more trust and respect we put in them, the more they will put in you as their teacher. He is also right when he says that it is never too late to learn. It doesn't matter how old you are, we never stop learning. I enjoyed reading this post because there were several good points that I may never have thought about unless I read this. I LOVED the point he made when he said to remember the reason we got in the business in the 1st place, the kids! I am guilty of getting wrapped up in being a people pleaser as well and becoming too concerned of what people/colleagues may think of me. This will be something I will always keep in mind. I love McClung's passion for new ideas/concepts and will strive to learn this technique for myself, as I am not the biggest fan of change either. I hope to be as happy with myself as a teacher as he has become someday. What a great and satisfying feeling that must be! I also enjoyed reading the section on "don't touch the keyboard" because I can relate to this. Growing up, I feel that a lot of things were basically "done for me" so I never had the opportunity to learn how to do certain things for myself and I can honestly say I wish I had. I like how McClung always wants to be challenged and never become comfortable. What a great quality to possess! I admire that in him and hope to always possess that quality for myself. I thoroughly enjoyed reading his posts and what he has learned thus far. He had some very interesting and helpful points and I look forward to reading even more of his posts.
technology

2 comments:

  1. "...I will be lecturing on ..." Consider whether you should lecture at all. Read my post Lectures - Part 1.

    Yes NOTHING goes as planned. So be prepared to deviate from your plan. ALL the time!

    "...I am not the biggest fan of change either. " I can tell. But your professional life will be filled with change!

    I hope you will make annual reflections like Mr. McClung.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot in common with you Ashton. I too am an organized person and i used to be afraid of technology before I learned so much about it in this class. Don't be afraid because it is very beneficial to students and teachers! Just think about all the paperwork that is eliminated in the classroom like roll sheets, grammar and handwriting practice sheets and even mathematics problems. Also, I believe students will be more interested in learning.

    Lesson plans will not always come out perfect, but as long you have good intentions and try your very best, you will be just fine. I get a little scared when I think about creating lesson plans, but then I realize that McClung is right, not every lesson plan is perfect. I'm a perfectionist and when something isn't just right, it bothers me until it is fixed. Now that I know that everything doesn't always turn out perfect no matter how well you do, your very best will suffice. I like how you gave your post some trust and personal feelings with it, I can relate to that. Keep up the good work, you'll do just fine!

    ReplyDelete